Consistently deliver. Continuously improve.
In an industry where projects can range markedly in size, scope and complexity, Graycor Industrial offers the benefits of deep-rooted financial stability and a vast network of resources. Combined with our dedicated, hands-on management style, this gives us the capability of handling hugely sophisticated projects and the ability to be more nimble, more responsive and more focused on our clients’ needs at every step.
With office locations and projects throughout the U.S., Graycor Industrial serves the oil, gas and chemicals (OG&C), power, metals, and gas infrastructure markets. We work under an array of owner-contractor arrangements that include design-build, general contract, construction management and partnering. As a union-affiliated contractor, we self-perform concrete, carpentry, millwright, refractory, boilermaker, steel erection, piping and demolition—directly employing approximately 3 million hours of craft labor per year.
“Nothing is more important than safety … not production, not sales, not profits.” —Mel Gray, Graycor Non-Executive Chairman
At Graycor Industrial, building something more requires intrinsic values that foster health and safety for the good of all.
We owe our long history of positive safety performance to:
- A top-notch, “Zero Incidents” goal safety program
- A team of experienced and dedicated safety professionals
- Safety-focused clients and project partners
- Insurance partners including American Contractors Insurance Group (ACIG)
Built on quality.
Graycor Industrial distinguishes itself as an ISO 9001:2015-registered general contractor, committed to meeting and exceeding our industrial clients’ needs by implementing an effective, accountable and process-driven Quality Management System.
Our reputation is built on quality. To help ensure our quality management processes meet or exceed industry requirements, we regularly conduct employee training seminars and maintain key industrial certifications. In addition, we established an internal Operator Qualification (OQ) program to support Graycor personnel who perform covered tasks related to liquid and natural gas pipeline construction as identified by the Office of Pipeline Safety of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Qualification of Pipeline Personnel Regulations (49 CFR Part 192 Subpart N and Part 195 Subpart G).
Graycor Industrial is accredited by the following organizations:
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- “U”, “S”, “A” and “PP” certificates of authorization
- National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors
- National Board “R” certificate of authorization for the repair and alteration of pressure retaining items
- “NB” certificate of authorization allowing us to register pressure retaining items with the National Board, as required by jurisdiction
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC)
- Certified Steel Erector
Delivering a better project through self-performance.
As a union-affiliated general contractor, Graycor Industrial works adeptly across the oil, gas and chemicals (OG&C), power, metals and gas infrastructure markets while self-performing an average of 3 million craft labor hours annually including:
- Structural steel erection
- Heavy rigging
- Equipment setting
- Process piping
- ASME code work
By self-performing much of our work, we ensure we consistently deliver on our rigorous schedule, cost and quality standards. In fact, we even have our own fabrication shop that gives us further control over the cost, quality and scheduling of our projects.
When portions of work require a higher level of specialization, we carefully choose only experienced subcontractors that share our commitment to safety, quality and performance.
Preconstruction services that get your project built.
With nearly a century’s worth of industrial construction experience, Graycor Industrial knows what it takes to plan your next project. Our preconstruction services include:
- Preliminary scheduling
- Building Information Modeling (BIM)
- Constructability reviews
- Developing with engineering to prepare subcontract bid packages
- Assessing craft labor availability
- Meeting with local union business managers and subcontractors
Project delivery methods, designed to suit.
Every project comes with its own set of challenges. Deciding on a project delivery method does not have to be one of those challenges. Graycor Industrial is experienced with a range of contract project delivery methods such as:
- Lump sum
- Cost plus fixed fee
- Time and material
- Open book
- Cost reimbursable with target incentives
- Shared risk/savings and partnering
- Joint Ventures
- Risk sharing
- Joint and several
State-of-the-art project controls.
A critical part of Graycor Industrial’s success relies on our project controls strategy. Using onsite and home office support, Graycor’s project teams proactively forecast, plan and monitor the cost and schedules for each project from the initial award to closeout.
Our project controls method encompasses the use of:
- Earned value analysis
- Commodity tracking
- Risk analysis
- Primavera P6 scheduling
- Job cost management for payroll and cost projections
- SharePoint for document administration
- Building Information Modeling (BIM) software such as Autodesk (AutoCAD / Revit / Navisworks) for model analysis of constructability
- Construction simulations and lift animations
- 3D lift planning
- 4D scheduling
Heavy lifting above and beyond.
Lifting, moving and setting heavy equipment is vital to what we do. As one of our core competencies, Graycor Industrial performs feasibility studies for heavy lifting and rigging which includes sizing and management of cranes, critical lift plans, and heavy-haul transport plans.
Because we move some of the most massive, heaviest equipment and prefabricated assemblies in the world, we use some of the largest cranes in the world, often for lifts that can exceed 500 tons.
Our heavy lift planning services include:
- Overall site evaluation for the best installation method
- Selection of the right machine based on individual project parameters
- Heavy lift crane siting
- Load-spreading and crane matting arrangements tailored to site conditions
- Custom rigging (lifting tackle) designed for individual loads based on weight and number of lifting points
- Construction sequencing and lift planning, including the use of 3D modeling software for proper visualization
- Alternate lifting or moving methods beyond cranes including gantries, jack and slide, winches, trolley systems, etc.
Graycor owns various carry deck and hydraulic cranes and also has an outstanding working relationship with most specialized lifting and transport providers in the U.S. with whom we have master service agreements in place. Working in partnership with these providers, we have experience utilizing large-capacity cranes such as the following:
- Kobelco SL6000 CC2800 (600-ton)
- Liebherr LR1600 and Demag CC2800 (600-ton)
- Liebherr LR1800 and LR1750 (850-ton)
- Manitowoc 18000 (825-ton) and 21000 (1,000-ton)
- Versa Crane TC-12000 (1,000-ton)
- Mammoet PTC35 (1,600-ton)
Graycor's pride is its people.
At Graycor Industrial, our people are our most valuable asset. Our employees are educated, experienced, skilled and highly motivated construction professionals who are given the resources, training and development opportunities to encourage them to perform their jobs with a sense of pride and ownership, while achieving their career goals.
The Graycor culture is an important part of who we are and the work we do. We partner with employees who share in our core values of:
- Long-term perspective
- Integrity and honesty
- Health and safety
- Continuous improvement
Graycor Industrial on the map.
Home-based near Chicago in Oakbrook Terrace, IL, Graycor Industrial Constructors is strategically located in the Midwest, with regional offices in Denver, CO, Long Beach, CA, Pittsburgh, PA and Portage, IN, to serve industrial clients throughout the U.S.
Vice President & General Manager, Western U.S. Operations
Vice President & General Manager, Western U.S. Operations, Graycor Industrial
Shawn Anderton is Vice President and General Manager, directing and overseeing Graycor Industrial's construction work within the U.S. western region. Shawn brings over 25 years of experience in project controls, estimating, project management and operations in the process, power and gas infrastructure markets. A graduate of Kansas State University, Shawn earned a B.S. in mechanical engineering.
Looking for a Local Connection?
The Graycor group of companies employs more than 1,600 construction specialists at its headquarters in Oakbrook Terrace, IL, regional offices and project sites throughout North America.
Everything we do begins with teamwork.
At Graycor, we invest in the welfare and professional growth of our people. We place greater value on partnerships over profit, and we operate within a set of core values that frame our strategy and culture, including maintaining a long-term perspective, upholding integrity and honesty, demonstrating safety leadership, emphasizing relationships, creating value, striving for continuous improvement, and achieving a healthy balance of work and family life. At Graycor, we’re building something more.
Nothing is more important than safety…not production, not sales, not profits.
Safety is not just a policy but a key part of our culture. As a family-owned and -operated company, it strikes to our core—each one of us is essential. Our health, our safety and the quality of our worksites is priority one. Protecting people means perfecting the environments in which they work. We believe errors are avoidable because our teams have accomplished major self-performance projects without a single injury. Our “Zero Injury” goal is the challenge every one of us aims to achieve every time we set foot on site.